Sales is a dynamic, high pressure, and fast-paced line of work. This means that when you’re busy chasing leads all day, there’s not much time to sit down and analyze your sales processes and results. But plowing ahead without proper analysis and reporting could cost you growth in the long term. Regular and accurate sales reporting is essential for creating forecasts and spotting trends.
A good sales reporting system can help you monitor leads, identify potential bottlenecks in the sales funnel, and track which products or services are selling well.
When you’re just starting out with a new business or project, planning and designing a smart sales process is the first step. If you want to launch an online business, take the time to research the sector before you start. Check out free online resources such as dropshipping app Oberlo, which offers a helpful guide to selling online and other tips for new e-commerce entrepreneurs.
There’s a huge range of specialist sales software available to help you monitor sales. But for startups and SMEs, expensive software can be an unwise and unnecessary investment. Instead, it’s often better to focus your resources on getting new clients and selling your product or service.
You can create an automated sales reporting system with the tool you already know and use every day: spreadsheets. Here’s how to get started with a sales report template in Google Sheets.
Why use Google Sheets to create sales reports?
- Flexible: Google Sheets enables you to manage and analyze all of your sales data in the way that suits your business. Whenever you need to change the system you can simply adapt the spreadsheets — without accounting software or IT support.
- Accessible: Since Google Sheets is cloud-based and updated in real time, your sales reps can access and update their data at any time, even if they’re on the road or out of office. All you need is an internet connection and a phone or laptop.
- Compatible with everything: Every piece of software on the planet integrates with Google Sheets. This means that if your team has data stored in other programs, you can easily import that information straight into Google Sheets.
- Easy to use: The majority of your colleagues probably already use spreadsheets and Google Sheets’ intuitive interface is quick to get to grips with. Spreadsheets are easy to maintain and onboarding your team is quick and simple.
Get an overview of all your sales metrics including top 10 clients, the number of closed contracts per month, sales leads at each stage of the funnel, and your best-selling products or services — all in the automated dashboard.
How to get started
This spreadsheet-based workflow template is a pre-built system that allows you to pull together real-time sales data from your team. The template consolidates sales data from different files to generate automated reports on all your leads, clients, and contracts.
The template can be used by sales teams of any size, selling any product or service. It provides your reps and account managers with a user-friendly way to record and share sales data. At the same time, it generates automated reports and dashboards for managers.
What’s a spreadsheet-based workflow template?
A regular spreadsheet template is a single file containing pre-built charts and formulas, but a Sheetgo workflow template is an interconnected system. It consists of multiple Google Sheets files that transfer data between them.
This allows individual colleagues (or small teams) to work in their own private spreadsheet while sharing data with managers automatically. There’s no longer any need to copy-paste data from sheet to sheet or spend hours searching for the right files.
A spreadsheet-based workflow template gives you:
- Organization and data privacy: Each file is dedicated to one specific task, for better data protection and reliability. Instead of working in one large shared spreadsheet, colleagues record sales data in their own spreadsheet. Data is exported from these files and consolidated in the manager’s master sheet and dashboards automatically.
- Scalability: You can expand a Google Sheets-based system as your business grows, without redesigning the system or switching to a new solution. Whenever you need to incorporate more data, you can just connect more spreadsheets.
- Integration: Google Sheets is compatible with everything. As a result, managers can easily import and combine data from other software packages. In a couple of clicks, you can connect data from Operations, Finance, or other company workflows to create an integrated data management system.
The template generates a list of contracts automatically:
What you get with this template:
When you install the Sheetgo Service Sales Report template, four Google Sheets files with pre-built Sheetgo connections are saved to your Google Drive:
- One Contracts spreadsheet. Share this file with the colleague(s) responsible for closing deals or signing contracts.
- One Clients spreadsheet. Share this file with the colleague(s) responsible for recording client data.
- One Leads spreadsheet. Share this file with your sales reps or those responsible for lead generation and scouting.
- One Service Sales Report master sheet, for the sales manager.
Are you working alone or running a small business?
If you think this automated sales report template could be useful in your company but you’re not the manager, share this post with your team leader so they can set up the system.
If you’re working alone or running a small sales team, try our single-file sales report template, without any connections.
How to get the workflow template
- Click the blue button below to get started with the sales report spreadsheet template.
- Log in to Sheetgo with your Google account. As this template is based in Google Sheets, the files will be saved to your Google Drive.
- Click Install template, and Install on Google Drive.
- Wait a few moments while Sheetgo installs the template and creates the connections.
Service sales report
Spreadsheets workflow template to manage and analyze clients, contracts and leads.
The service sales report master sheet opens inside Sheetgo.
Take a look at all of the spreadsheets to familiarize yourself with the template and how it works.
To open either the Contracts, Clients, or Leads file, click Workflow in the sidebar on the right-hand side of the screen and double-click on either of the files.
How to use the service sales report template
Step 1: Check out the input files
Open one of the input spreadsheets (Contracts, Clients, or Leads) and you will see that the file contains sample data. This is to show you how the template works, so you (or your colleague) can simply delete or overwrite this information.
In the input tab (Contracts, Clients, or Leads) your colleague(s) can start entering data manually. If you already have this data stored in another database or spreadsheet, you can connect it to the workflow with Sheetgo connections.
In the designated Leads spreadsheet, your team of sales development reps can enter and update their current leads. In each column they enter contact details, the funnel stage, and notes.
Whenever your colleagues sign a new client, they should log all the contact’s details here in the Clients tab of the Clients spreadsheet.
In the Contracts spreadsheet, you or your colleagues should log every new contract that is signed.
Here they can register the company, the service or product, the deal value, an estimated duration for the project, and a link to the contract PDF.
Step 2: Share the spreadsheets
To share the input files with your colleagues click Edit in new and the spreadsheet will open in a new tab in your browser.
You can then grant edit access to the appropriate colleague(s) using Google Sheets’ Share button.
Step 3: Update the connections
Once your colleagues have started entering data into the Contracts, Clients, and Leads files, you want to pull that information into the master sheet.
To do this, open the workflow menu bar on the right-hand side of the screen and click Run on the menu bar.
Take a look at your master sheet and you will see that fresh data from the input sheets has been imported into the Leads, Clients, and Contracts reports.
The template uses this data to generate the charts in the automated dashboard.
Step 4: Automate the workflow
To ensure you’ve always got the latest data in your master sheet reports and dashboard, schedule automatic updates.
Just click Automate on the workflow menu bar and choose how often you want updates.
Build your own sales software
By connecting Google Sheets with Sheetgo, you can create a dynamic sales system that’s tailored to your business. You can automate and streamline the system even further by linking other files and using Google Forms for data inputs.
If you’re looking for a more complex sales management solution or you need help customizing the service sales report template for your company, book a meeting with our automation experts.
Looking for a basic template?
If you’re self-employed or working in a small team, we also offer a single-file sales report template. This template doesn’t import information from multiple spreadsheets — but it provides a simple way to create a sales report in one single file. Click here to get a copy.