As with many other business areas, the world of marketing is becoming increasingly more data-driven. As a result, the marketing departments that stay up to date with this data revolution benefit from the many advantages it brings. For instance, mining and analyzing customer data leads to an increase in conversion rates and the number of identified prospects if done correctly.
Marketing teams with the most creative content, best designs, and most original advertisement campaigns usually come out on top. However, if those teams do not measure results or analyze data, they are still at a disadvantage in the long term compared to teams that do. Organizations are result-driven and appreciate marketing managers who present results based on the data they collect and analyze.
Key Performance Indicators
That’s where KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) come in. KPIs measure to which extent an organization is achieving its objectives. As such, these indicators should only contain the most important metrics. In this case, quality is definitively preferred above quantity.
Besides, KPIs should be S.M.A.R.T: Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time-bound. A few examples of Email Marketing are the number of emails opened, number of clicks, number of conversions, and more. Make sure that KPIs for other areas are equally precise and measurable as these examples.
While analysis tools like Google Analytics are popular in many companies, a marketing team with a multi-channel strategy generates a vast amount of data.
Therefore, they need to bring this data together in one place to analyze it. Consider an Excel-based Marketing KPIs template that tracks your metrics in an automated dashboard and creates automated KPI reports.
Why use an Excel-based template to track marketing KPIs?
- Flexibility: Excel spreadsheets can be modified and changed according to your organization’s needs and requirements. As such, there is no need for complicated software solutions or putting pressure on your IT department to build a customized marketing KPI system.
- Accessibility: Whether you are working from a tablet, a desktop, laptop, or smartphone, marketing managers and members of the marketing team always have access to the workflow. As such, they can make changes anywhere they have an Internet connection.
- Compatibility: Microsoft Excel is easily compatible with other software that your organization might be using. Therefore, any marketing-related data you already have is easily imported into Excel spreadsheets.
- Ease of use: Many employees are familiar with spreadsheets and if they are not, it is easy to train them. Indeed, using an Excel-based template is ideal for beginners and advanced users alike.
What you get with the Excel Marketing KPIs template
- Four Marketing Channel spreadsheets. These are named SEO, Content Marketing, SEM, and Email Marketing. Simply share these files with the team members responsible for managing this data. Rename the files to the channels your company uses.
- One Marketing Dashboard KPIs master sheet. This is the central master sheet for the marketing manager. Data from the marketing channels flow into this spreadsheet and provide you with an automated analysis of your key marketing metrics.
How to get the workflow template
- Click here to install the Excel Marketing KPIs template.
- Login to Sheetgo with your Google, Microsoft, or Dropbox account.
- Click Install on Onedrive or choose your preferred platform from the drop-down list.
- Please allow a few moments as Sheetgo creates the connections and saves a copy of the template files to your chosen account.
How to use the Excel Marketing KPIs Template
Step 1: Share the marketing channel spreadsheets
Open the marketing channel spreadsheets by double-clicking their icons in the workflow view.
Each of these spreadsheets (SEO, SEM, Content Marketing & Email Marketing) contains 3 tabs: Instructions, Dashboard and Tracking. In the Tracking tab, insert the starting date. The Dashboard tab contains an overview of your most important SEO KPIs.
These tabs contain some sample data to show you how the template works. Simply delete or overwrite this data. The gray cells contain pre-filled data so don’t try to alter this information. Enter your data in the white cells.
Share each of the marketing channel spreadsheets with the person responsible for that channel. Click the green Share button in Excel. If you prefer working in the Excel application, simply click Open in Desktop App and continue working in Excel.
Step 2: Update the workflow
Once your colleagues have started entering data into their marketing channel spreadsheets, it’s time to import that information into the central master sheet.
First, return to the tab with the workflow view. Now click Run on the menu bar.
This pulls the latest data from the 4 input sheets into the master sheet.
Step 3: Automate the workflow
To ensure you’ve always got the latest marketing data in your master sheet and dashboard, schedule automatic updates. The Excel Marketing KPIs Template contains Sheetgo connections. Update the workflow and these connections push and pull data between spreadsheets.
This updates the entire workflow at regular intervals, without you having to open a spreadsheet or open Sheetgo. As such, it saves you valuable time.
Go to the workflow menu bar and click Automate instead of Run.
Create your own automated marketing system
Are you in need of a customized automated marketing system or do you need help customizing the Excel Marketing KPI template?
Book a meeting with our automation experts here.
Looking for more Excel-based workflow templates?
Check out this post about Sheetgo’s Expense tracker template and discover more automated workflow templates!
Did you like this post?
If you found this post helpful or interesting, share it with your colleagues and friends.
Take a look at the following blog post about the best marketing email software to further optimize and boost your marketing department.