What are add-ons in Google Sheets?
Google Sheets add-ons are third-party apps that are accessible to download and integrate with your Google Sheets software. These add-ons are designed to extend the power of Google Sheets, and help improve your overall productivity.
The Google Sheets add-ons available in the Google Workspace Marketplace cover a whole range of functions, such as data analysis, app integration and communication.
How to access Google Sheets add-ons
You can browse and install all Google Sheets add-ons in the Google Workspace Marketplace. However, you can also install add-ons directly within your Google Sheets:
- Open a spreadsheet
- Head to Extensions > Add-ons > Get add-ons
- Browse add-ons or search for the add-on you’re looking for using the search bar.
- Click on the add-on you want and select the Install button.
There are all kinds of add-ons in the Google Workspace Marketplace. They can make your spreadsheets work in ways that you’ve never imagined.
Today our focus will be on add-ons that improve your workflow, however. But first, let’s define what we mean by workflow efficiency.
What is workflow efficiency?
Workflow efficiency is the measure of the process and performance that your team completes a project or task. Optimal workflow efficiency is where you can streamline your process whilst optimizing your overall performance.
Usually, a workflow is mapped, repeated, and refined to increase efficiency and productivity levels in a business.You can use Google Sheets add-ons to do this for you. As a result, you are saving time and manual effort to focus on the actual project itself.
How to improve workflow efficiencyOne of the main ways to improve workflow efficiency is through workflow automation. This means that some of the processes are carried out automatically, without the need for manual work. You can then remove repetitive and consistent steps, such as changing a file type or performing a complex calculation.
Not only does this save you a huge amount of time (and therefore money), but it also decreases the risk of human error, and even optimize results through the use of specialist tools.
Now that you understand the importance of workflow efficiency and the exact ways in which add-ons can help improve this, let’s explore our top 10 Google Sheets add-ons for workflow efficiency!
Top 10 Google Sheets add-ons for workflow efficiency in 2022
1. SheetgoThe Sheetgo add-on for Google Sheets is a tool designed to help automate entire business workflows from start to finish, with the goal of improving workflow efficiency and making work simple. With Sheetgo, you can connect Google Sheets, Excel, CSV, and TSV files stored in Google Drive, Sharepoint, OneDrive, or Dropbox. By connecting spreadsheets, you can build your own custom workflows that manage your everyday business processes for you. Whether you want to send leads to your team of sales reps automatically, or combine financial data from multiple departments to generate reports – Sheetgo automates your data management process to save time and manual effort, using your everyday tools. You can also automatically generate and send documents, PDFs and emails using the Google Docs and Gmail integrations, directly from your Google Sheets file.
Perhaps you have a small business and want to combine inventory and order data. All of these processes can be automated with Sheetgo. You can opt to build a workflow from scratch, or use one of the multiple ready-made templates designed for various processes within a business, from Inventory to Sales.
You can install the Sheetgo add-on for free, using your Google, Microsoft or Dropbox account. For more information, check out this page on Sheetgo extensions.
Install the add-on for free: Sheetgo add-on for Google Sheets
2. ProjectSheet PlanningUse ProjectSheet Planning to create a schedule and plan your important projects.You can create and assign tasks and milestones, track progress, and link and chain tasks. On top of that, you can allocate resources and a budget to your workflow.
ProjectSheet Planning is a powerful personal project management tool. It has a paid and a free version.
In the pro version you can assign a price per unit of time or resources and calculate your costs automatically, which surely is a time saver. It also protects you from undervaluing your work.
Get the add-on here: ProjectSheet Planning add-on.
3. Yet Another Mail MergeYou might guess from the name of this add-on that there are many mail merge tools out there. So why should you use Yet Another Mail Merge? In short: they have more than one million active users and are one of the highest rated add-ons in the Workspace Marketplace. Now what does this add-on do exactly? Basically, it sends bulk emails from right within a spreadsheet! Whether it’s a customer mailing list or notices for employees, automating the way you send out emails saves time and generate insights.
YAMM also tracks email receipts and opens, which are displayed on an intuitive dashboard within your sheet.
Get the YAMM add-on here: Yet Another Mail Merge add-on.
4. Power ToolsNext up is Power Tools. It is a popular add-on that allows you to quickly and efficiently transform the look and functionality of your spreadsheets. The add-on has a powerful toolbar that improves the user experience of Google Sheets. You can quickly alter text, numbers or dates. On top of that, you can also merge, compare, or combine different sheets.
This add-on makes functions in Google Sheets a breeze. Their toolbar makes complex formulas as simple as pressing a button.
In other words, it’s a great addition for anyone who’s still getting used to spreadsheets.
5. LucidChartLucidChart is a flowchart builder. You can create beautiful and enlightening flowcharts, logic trees, and other useful charts. Their Google Marketplace add-on connects your Lucidchart account with your Google account and inserts charts into your Google Drive files. Lucid Chart works with Sheets, Docs, and Slides. It also helps to visualize your workflows. Simply embed it into your spreadsheets, and you’ll never forget your workflow again.
6. AppSheetAppSheet allows you to create apps based on your spreadsheets. Their app-building platform uses column headers and spreadsheet data to create a no-code app that you can share with teammates or clients. Once the add-on interprets your data, it creates an app on their platform where you can adjust functionality and create polished apps.
7. Form Workflow Plus
Simplify the approval processes in your workflow. Form Workflow Plus combines the power of Gmail, Forms, and Sheets to create a simple approval process.
Team members simply fill out a Google Form with the information they need approved (think creative work, timesheets, or time off requests).
That information is then synced to a Google Sheet where the team lead can get an overview of everything that’s been submitted.
Finally, team leads receive an email that links to the Form Workflow Plus platform. Here, they can approve, deny, hold, or return a workflow submission and send a message back to their team members.
8. AutoCratAutoCrat creates Google Docs from your Google Sheets. It is possible to automate the process by telling the add-on to run at certain time intervals, or when data is added through Form submissions. It allows you to automatically fill client’s contracts. As well, you can trigger customized emails whenever a new client fills out a form.
9. MailMeteorMailMeteor sends templated emails from your personal email address. First, list your contacts and their information like name, position, or a personal greeting in a spreadsheet. Next you create a template in the MailMeteor platform and lastly, send the emails from your personal Gmail account.
10. Presence for MeetPresence for Meet integrates Google Meet and Google Sheets, letting you track and record meeting attendance and time in a spreadsheet. With virtual classrooms becoming more and more common, this add-on is aimed at teachers, but it can be used by anyone running a team of people in a digital setting. It’s very easy to use, too. Simply enter the meeting invitees and the meeting code into your linked Google Sheet, and attendance will automatically be tracked.
Optimize workflow efficiency with Google Sheets
And there you have it! With just a Google Sheets add-on, you can optimize your workflow efficiency to save you and your team tons of time and resources. The ten add-ons listed above are some of the best add-ons to help level up your productivity in Google Sheets.
With an add-on like Sheetgo, you can automate your workflows for the ultimate streamlined business process that maximized your performance. Using the tools you already have such as Google Sheets, Google Docs and Gmail, you can create custom workflows that manage your data for you, or use ready-made solutions that are easy to implement for immediate results.
Interested in becoming a Google Sheets expert? Take a look at the spreadsheets category of the Sheetgo blog to learn all about Google Sheets functions, tips, and tricks.
Alternatively, check out some related blog posts below!
Editor’s note: This is a revised version of a previous post that has been updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.